UE Reference Monitor Re-shell

So, my UERMs (Ultimate Ears Reference Monitors) sounded funny and I had asked Aries of FlipEars to diagnose the problem.

Turns out, 2 of the (three) drivers on the right unit had died. This was the first time I ever needed to “service” this kind of equipment, so I was relieved when he assured me he could repair/re-shell them without changing the sound signature.

While I was at it, I decided to switch cable interfaces to mmcx because the 2-pin type proprietary cables on the UEs had a horrible track record with me. Because it’s essentially a press-fit design, once it disconnects by accident (for whatever reason) the “grip” is compromised from then on out – so I end up having to struggle with signal dropouts unless I fiddle around with the connector.

Sufficed to say, I was done with the 2-pin design. Some people still prefer or swear by it, but it’s just not for me. Switching to mmcx on the other hand, gives me the benefit of multiple connections/disconnections – which even allows me to swap and test various cables often without worry.


The only drawback with this type of connector is that it’s more prone to buildup (grime, etc.) – which requires you to clean the contacts more often, a compromise I’d gladly take given with what I’ve had to deal with in the past. It’s one of the best decisions I’ve made.

Before: Dead right channel tweeters
After: Good as new

Variations in the graph are just due to the fact that you can’t guarantee mic-ing them exactly the same way. But this this is pretty much the same way UE would’ve done it – he even sourced the exact same drivers and tubes as the original. And I didn’t have to worry about shipping it back and forth from the US.

Have a say

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.